These heel wedges are designed by Steve. The vast majority of riders need some degree of wedging so that their feet, ankles, knees and hips align well during the pedaling action. Humans have not evolved to maintain a fixed relationship for long periods with an apparatus like a bicycle, and oftentimes help is necessary to assure optimal alignment during the thousands of repetitions of the pedaling action. First and foremost, Steve recommends that you use heel wedges in conjunction with arch support.
With arch support in place, a majority of riders will need from 0 – 3 wedges on each side with only a tiny minority needing more than this. You will need to experiment to determine the best number for you and it may be a different number on each side. The average is 3 wedges per rider in total, though individual cases vary widely. Our heel wedges are made from plastics that are free of heavy metals.
Why heel wedges?
- Our research indicates that 70% of rides need heel wedging; either alone or in combination with cleat wedges.
- No need for non-standard length screws as is necessary with cleat wedges.
- Multiple cleat wedges can slip; heel wedges do not.
- If you have multiple pairs of shoes, it’s convenient to transfer your insoles with heel wedges between shoes.
- Heel wedges contain no heavy metals or dyes.
- Avoids the problems associated with using mtb cleat wedges or in-shoe wedges.
Our heel wedges are designed to fit the heel cup of any shoe size between size 36 Euro and size 50 Euro. There are cut lines on the wedge, and they can be quickly trimmed to size with scissors.